Thursday, May 10, 2007

Second Last Weekend

So, here's a recap of my weekend:

Went out with Vera on Friday night for dinner. We are complete losers, because after dinner we went to Starbucks, had a coffee, and it was still only 9pm. We decided to hire a video so we went to Blockbuster and there was nothing we wanted, so we went to THE LIBRARY to get a DVD from there. Like I said: LOSERS.

Saturday morning I had breafast with Judith because she was working from 12 to 9. We had a mini roadtrip to find the bloody place because this country has the annoying habit of sometimes not putting street signs up and just putting numbers up instead, so if you don't know that Elmhurst Rd is also Route 83, then you might just drive past it, like we did. =) We eventually found it in the usual fashion - you know, just after you've given up on the place.

After that we went to Starbucks and wandered around my suburb a bit. It's just too cute. I'm going to miss this place.

That evening we were having a little going-away dinner for myself, and as usual I had forgotten about it (it was only sprung on me on Thursday) and had to call people to see if they could come. Only 4 people could come on such short notice: Andrea, Vera, Miriam and her visiting friend from Germany, Theresa. It was still a good night though. Frances can kind of go overboard on the whole getting ready and presentation thing, especially since it was so casual, but it was still nice.

Sunday I went downtown with Miriam and Theresa. We had Chicago-style hotdogs from Portillos and went up the John Hancock building.





After that we went to Chinatown, which was pretty sad, as it, "That's IT?"




We ended the day with a trip to Buckingham Fountain, which unfortunately, was still not turned on.

You may recall the opening credits to Married... With Children. Well, this was the fountain that was used.

That night I drove John to the airport. He's going to the Middle East for a couple of weeks. Yes, that's right - I probably won't see him again before I leave. It was so weird. It really doesn't feel real. He said lots of really nice things to me, that I was a good au pair and such, but I'm sure he says that to all the au pairs. Lol.

So that was my weekend. Well, apart from Judith and I trying to find a Starbucks that was open late on a Sunday night, and settling for a vomit-inducing thickshake at a nasty chain-diner instead.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez I think that you are pretty hard on yourself. What DVD did you get anyway? & as far as the getting lost bit goes, you did find the place in the end didn't you?
It was nice of John to have recognised you for what you really are: a nice, decent person just trying hard to do a good job!
See you soon.
Kind regards.
Jackie.

Sarah said...

Haha. Nah, we're not that hard on ourselves. That's what we say every weekend-night when we realise that because most of our group is under 21, there's nothing we can do. =)

We ended up getting a modern-day take on Pride and Prejudice, which was just horrible! Who would have thought someone could stuff up a story so simple??

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for replying so quickly to my blog. It was obviously a bad choice of DVDM as I do agree with you that the story was totally stuffed up. Anyway, it was equally obvious that you had a glorious day to go up the Hancock's Building, I do believe that Chicago is enjoying some beautiful weather right now.
Finally, thanks for the photo re: Married... with children, shame the fountain wasn't working though. maybe they are saving money or energy or something...
Kind regards.
Jackie.

Anonymous said...

ohhh second last weekend!!! how exciting!!!!! thats nice he said some nice stuff bout u! especially after he has been such a dick to u so many times!

Anonymous said...

hey have they found a new aupair yet? what did lara end up saying? i forgot to ask last time i called sorry.....
call me this week if you can and we can chat. or ill call you either way is good. you wont miss USA as much as you missed AUS. trust me. cant wait for your return ill be at the airport with bells on.... literally... lol god im funny. lova ya long time.