Sunday, November 12, 2006

A Lesson On German

Hey guys.

So last week I was feeling completely overwhelmed. I decided it was not a good feeling. So I cleaned my room (not that it was really messy or anything, but I had a few pairs of shoes on the ground and tidied up my dresser) and that made a big difference to how I was feeling.

I've also decided that I have to start thinking positively. This has been the hardest part because I'm just not a glass-half-full person. I also don't know what I should start thinking positively about. :P I'm nuts.

So, Friday morning I went to the airport one hour away to pick up their rellos who had come to visit, then I had to drop them off downtown at the Field Museum. I was not feeling the best (and looking the best, thanks Lara and Judith for letting me know :P) because I'd had 4 hours' sleep the night before after talking to Mary online all night. That evening was also hectic because I was the parent volunteer for Jack's Chess club and we had to go straight from there to the train station and pick the rellos up (it was POURING down so they couldn't walk home), then go home, get dressed and go to karate. It was just GO GO GO!

Anyway, last Sunday Jack had his exams for karate. Before last night he was a whitebelt with two stripes. He needed four more stripes to become an orange belt, something he told me was very had to do. Well, he got it!!! It was very exciting. I started clapping before everyone and Jack just stood there with this huge grin on his face. SO CUTE!

Anyway, we went home and had one of the lasagnes I cooked. It was OK, except that this lasagne is made with uncooked lasagne sheets, and when I was making it it didn't look finished so I put some sheets on the top, which I shouldn't have done because they didn't soften. Oh well. Eat around it.

So everything was so busy on Friday night that I couldn't go to the movies with Lara and Judith. Apparently I didn't miss much because they went to that Russel Crowe movie "A Good Day" or something like that and they fell asleep in it.

Saturday was my first sample sale. We had to put our names on the list to go there about a month and a half ago. Yeah, severely unimpressed. There were no real bargains. Sergio Rossi shoes were 75% off, but they were all ugly. Plus, I had no money. So we were there for a couple of hours. I heard two Aussie songs in a row, and I was saying to Sarah that it's so weird because they weren't internationally famous songs ("Pash" by Kate Cebrano and "Weir" by Killing Heidi) and then the vendor told us that the owners were Australian. Good on 'em for their music selections. Also heard "Island Home" by Christine Anu and a few INXS songs.

Then we went to this vintage store that Frances and Sarah had bought dresses at for their cousin's deb ball that they were going to and they had some really pretty clothes. Mostly 80s dresses though. Next door was a second-had clothing store and it was much closer to my price-range. I bought a gorgeous beanie (you'll all DIE when you see me wearing it! tooooooooo cute!) and a little cap. Lots of fun.

After this we went to Michigan Ave. By this time it was 5:30. I had planned on being home at around 2pm to hang out with Lara. Yeah, no. Went into Saks 5th Ave (saw the most STUNNING Oscar de la Renta dress... perfect for my next red carpet event, and only $8500, but I'm sure I can have Oscar send one round as a gift), then Neiman Marcus (or as Frances likes to call it, Needless Mark-ups) and Tiffany & Co. Found my engagement ring, now I just need to find a man. It was only around $7000. Pittance! If he loves me he'll work 5 jobs to make it happen!

Ended up getting home around 7:30 and went straight to Lara's. She was babysitting til 12:30 so Judith and I were keeping her company. Lara's mum had sent these Maggi mixes from Germany and it was soooooo yum! We had this creamy chicken with zucchini and carrots. Mmmm.

Bummed at her place then came home and crashed. So far that's my weekend. The family's left now on their way to the airport. Lara will be over in a couple of hours to watch some Kath and Kim then we're off to Starbucks and Old Navy.

Oh, and Frances asked Sarah yesterday if she'd be disappointed if we didn't go to Paris.... so I guess we're not going? It's nice to be kept in the loop, considering that we would be going this Saturday...

OK. And now it's time for our GERMAN LESSON!!!

OK girls and boys. It seems we've been doing everything wrong. Lara explained to me about scheisse (pronounced "shy-seh"). We have always said scheissen to mean "shit", however boys and girls, this is incorrect! Scheissen actually means "shitting". So when we say "Scheissen!" when something has annoyed us or we hurt ourselves, we are really saying, "Shitting!", which doesn't really make too much sense.

Also, we have also been saying, "scheissen hausen" which also isn't correct. It would be "schiesse haus". But it would be silley to say it in Germany because they don't use this expression and would think you've been in Amsterdam and the effects of the coffee shops haven't worn off...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I have noted with great interest how much your spirits have improved. It's fantastic to have the "old" Sarah back! And OMG aren't you a busy girl doing all these activities! It would be a great shame if you didn't go to Paris after all, but anyway you are still very young and there is plenty of time left for you to travel.I will be going back to Noumea on Thursday for 10 days to see my family again, so I probably won't write to you before I return to Sydney.All the best & kind regards. Thanks for the German lesson by the way , I've always said " Schiessen" myself.
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Remember how we watched some movie ages and ages ago and they pronounced in shy-seh, and we're like did they just swear? They should really learn how to speak German properly haha. At least Shiessen (omg its not even Shiezen!!) is still a word. Oh Shitting!

Anonymous said...

Who the heck says scheissen anyway?

Geez, reading that blog makes me never wnat to have kids. I cna't imagine always having to be on the go and it's not even for myself. Ick.

But yes, be positive! Positivity will make May come faster!! I don't know how one does this either as I'm not a glass-half full person either but I'll support you 130%!!

Anonymous said...

nope i refuse to conform. it will always be shiezen to me :P