Saturday, June 10, 2006

Day off

Man, I'm so cranky at myself for not having packed my camera cord. I'm going to call nan tonight to get her to send it over with all my mail.

So today's my first full Saturday here, marking my first week on the job. I'll talk about yesterday first though.

Around the block from us is this park (literally a two minute walk) with gorgeous fountains and a play area. The Parks Council organised something called "Picnic in the Park" to celebrate Summer and it was for parents and children. Well, it was fantastic. It was all free and we just brought a rug and a mini esky with some sandwhiches and drinks. They had a singer, jumping castles, blow-up slides, face painting and balloon animals for the kids, and IT WAS ALL FREE. Why don't they do that sort of thing here? I mean, they do do it here. I mean at home. :S I'm so confused.

So that's pretty much all I did yesterday, that and take J to his karate lesson.

The kids have to complete these Summer Bridging workbooks. Basically it's so they don't just blank out everything they've learnt this last year for the next two and a half months. I'm loving it because it takes up about 45 mins of the day and it's fun helping J out. By the time S stops whinging about having to do hers though or trying to get out of doing it, she would be finished! It was so funny watching her argue with her mom (<-on purpose) that she should have to do it. It was just like, erm, sweetie, you're not going to win this one!! Besides, she's going to get $20 when she completes it! Kids these days. ;) Today's Saturday so it's my free day. I didn't have anywhere to go though. I was thinking of walking to the library, but it was yuck and overcast so I couldn't be bothered. And I don't know anyone here, so I can just go meet someone for coffee. That's Ok though, cos F's parents came down for lunch. They originally came to see J's baseball game, but it was cancelled due to the weather (it was raining this morning). They were gorgeous F's mom is from the south and her accent was so cute! And she's totally crazy cos she loved the Vegemite and kept on eating crackers smeared with it. You know what I tried today for the first time? A BISCUIT. Mmm hmm. That's right. Our "biscuits" at home are cookies here (I kind of knew that), but biscuits here are like bread! It's so weird. F got this can out of the fridge and these dough-like things came out and she popped them on the frying pan and they became this weird bread things. I'm still so confused.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

man that sounds like heaps of fun that whole park picnic thing! it sounds like ur having an awesome time! i am sooo jelous that u r in summer! how warm is it over there? it is frikin freezing over here, but heaps of rain!

Anonymous said...

are the biscuits like english muffins? how do eat them? with jam or just plain? and how big are they? freaking strange man. and the council picnic thing sounds awesome!

Sarah said...

The biscuits are the shape of english muffins, but more... bread like. Lol. You eat them with butter. And fried chicken. And apparently with other southern recipes. Too weird.

Meaks, the weather is OK. We've only had a few nice warm days, but it apparently gets heaps hot in June and August.

Anonymous said...

Hey hey, That S is sooooooooo gay god she get $20 for doing nothing!!What a whinger. You should send over something for laura right now her birthday is in 3 weeks. I have been over ast lauras house every weekend since you left and sending parcels over is costing nunny way to much, you cow.

-mary

Anonymous said...

:o We never got free jumping castles over here, thats sucks! Bring me back a free jumping castle :p .. I'm sure it will fit in your carry on luggage haha