Monday, June 05, 2006

I've nearly been run over three times... MUST LOOK LEFT!

OK. So I'll kind of fill in what happened before everything in the last post took place, then fill in things since then.

The plane trip was just terrible. United Airlines sucks, but that says since my host mum works for them I think I'll prolly be flying a lot more of them :(. For the first flight I was sitting next to this scary man. He was scary cos he seemed so cranky and I was scared to disturb him everytime I needed to go to the bathroom ( I was in the middle, he was aisle). On the window side of me though was Jennifer, one of the normal aussie chicks. Also on our flight was Mel, the crazy annoying one.

So after much drama in SFO running from one side of the airport to the other and then being delayed at the Xray place cos I had too much hand luggage. I had my Puma bag, a plastic bag with the aboriginal print I'd brought and some shoes, and my hand bag. Personally, I can't count the hand bag as a third piece of baggage, but apparently it is. WTF. The woman kept going, "Ma'am, I won't let you on until you consolidate." So I put my handbag (crammed my handbag!) into my Puma bag. Then she's like, "You need to consolidate." And I'm like, "But I consolidated!!! I consolidated!!!!" and then she made me put my plasic bag into a big santa sack of a plastic bag, which was bigger and more awkward to carry, thus making her "consolidation" requests obsolete. Consolidate this.

The flight from SFO to JFK was uneventful, except that I was sitting next to Jen again and we had a nice lady sitting next to us on the aisle. Also, when I went to the bathroom to wash the gross off me, one of the flight attendants (male, and that's all I'll say: No Judgement!!!) and I started joking around and he was all, "I want your bag" (the pink Puma one) and I was joking he could have it if the offer was good enough. Then later in the flight he came up and gave my friend and I hot nuts ("Would you like some hot nuts?" Well, put it that way....) and no one else on the flight was offered any. We felt very priveledged.

You know what else made us feel priveledged??? LIMOSINE TRANSFERS FROM THE AIRPORT TO THE TRAINING SCHOOL!!!! So much fun. Mel, the other aussie on our flight, was touching all the buttons and playing with everything. Then she laughed. Can you tell which was the annoying girl for the rest of the trip. I think she put most of it on. Like, she'd start singing to herself. My theory is that she was doing it to get a reaction, so I ignored her. I'm such a bitch, but I really just didn't have the patience to deal with her. By the second day there (first day of training) I casually mentioned to one of the other girls (hey, for all I knew they loved her and thought she was endearing!) that I'm kind of over Mel and thankfully they all agreed.

I've told you about the school and all that. But did you guyd know we had a graduation ceremony! Lol. And an international singalong. You had to sing a song from your country that was for kids and had hand actions. Only one we could think of was Home Among the Gumtrees. It's much harder to get up and sing with only four people than it is for say, the Germans who had 60.

New York was such a disappointment. It was pouring. :'( We didn't really do much there, and really only had an hour to look around (in the rain wearing loser garbage bag ponchos) so we went to HM and that's it. Bought some really ugly post cards. Sorry guys, but they were only cheap- 20 for $1!! My aussie chicks and I are hoping to be able to go back in a few months and spend the weekend. Then we'll do it properly.

Oh, and I GOT SICK. I think it was a combo of the rain, the aircon on the coach to and from NY, and the lack of sleep, but now I'm really sick. Goddamn!!

So Saturday, got on another flight, this time to Chicago. I was so nervous, but then I got off the plane and F, S and J were there waiting for me and gave me hugs. They were so lovely. Haven't met Dad-J yet cos on Sat morning he had to head out for this annual family thing that he couldn't miss, but I spoke to him on the phone and he seems really nice.

It's so weird walking around the house and thinking that this will be my home for the next year, this will be my room, my bathroom etc. On Saturday evening I went to J's baseball game and it was soooo cute, all these little kids dressed up in their baseball outfits. Sarah's so friendly and outgoing, it's insane.

Last night I drove for the first time. SOOOOOO SCARY!!! I kept turning and finding myself in the wrong lane. And I kept turning the windscreen wipers on when I went to indicate. Lol!

So today I'm going to be doing a whole lot more driving. Should be fun.....

Oh, and Jackie, my email address is sarah_joan_lynch(at)hotmail.com Just replace the (at) with @.

Miss you all.

I'd call but the phone's not working here cos it's hooked to the internet and wireless, but that keeps playing up.

Mary, tell nan I'm fine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg i would be so scared to drive in usa. i would be in the wrong lane all the time cause their driving rules suck. sar you need to change your location in the about me section. it still says your in oz and as much as id like you to still be here, your not... or r you?????? the hand luggage wasnt a prob in aussie, and remember how much hand luggage we took on in new zealand? she needs a life. bitch.
miss you

Anonymous said...

saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarah, good to see you havn't killed any of them yet.. yet

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah
Many thanks for sending me your e-amil address.
Your blog is getting more interesting by the minute. How is your driving getting along now? Quite good I'd like to think. Remember thst they drive on the right, like most of the world and you'll be ok until you come back to Sydney and then you'll have to learn all over again. Now there's a fun thought for you!
Bye for now.
Jackie S.

Anonymous said...

Hey loser its Jonas here.

Glad to here evrythings going well,
I really like the sound of that Mel chick.

Make sure you warn the kids about drop bears an bunyips.
anyways talk to u later

bye!
p.s mary smells

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am really not looking forward to the long flight to England!

Hope all is well. Do you not use high-mangoess email anymore? The family sounds really Nice.

When will you get to make and recieve calls?