Thursday, June 08, 2006

Summer Lovin'

So all is going well.

I can't remember if I wrote about us having an Australian themed party or not.......

Well, so we had an Australian themed party! Lol. It was just a lunch and we invited J's friends and their moms (<- note the spelling. It's even the way I think of these people, cos they're seriously not mums, they're moms). We had an Australian quiz and vegemite tasting (so funny to watch) and the kids got aussie pens and pencils. F went all out. Seriously. She was up heaps late making a cheese cake and all this other stuff. She went out and bought red, white and blue table cloths and stuff, and bought a flag pole to put up the flag that Dan bought me. Unfortunately the flag pole holder she has was too small, so we just taped it to the front door.

Here's the Australia quiz questions:

Name two Australian animals that start with the letter K.
Name the capital of Australia.
Which continent is Australia on?
How many of the world’s 10 most poisonous snakes are from Australia?
What are the native people of Australia called?
Is Australia in the Northern or Southern hemisphere?
Name two famous people from Australia.
Which of these is native to Australia: crocodiles or alligators?
What colours are in the Australian flag?
What side of the street do Australians drive on?
What language do people in Australia speak?
What’s J’s new au pair’s name?


Some of the answers were funny. Our native people are Indians, by the way. ;) I helped most of them though.

So I've been driving heaps now. It's getting much easier. What hard is to orientate myself with the roads and stuff, but I'm getting the hang of it now.

I opened up a bank account today and have applied for my social security number. That will take 6-8 weeks to come through cos apparently immigration put my visa details in wrong and put me in as an F (student) visa instead of a J (au pair) visa. Morons!

The weather has been awesome. And cos I'm with the kids, I've been in the sun more in the past 6 days than I think I have in the past 10 years. Jonas, you happy now? I may even develop a tan (doubt it though).

I went to this place called Panera which is this chain that's a cross between Baker's Delight, cos you can buy bread and pastries, but you can also get sandwiches and rolls and soup and it's soooooooooo good!!! You'd all love it. And it's pretty cheap. There's this deal where you can get soup and half a sandwhich/roll/salad for $5.99. I couldn't eat it all, but it was yummo.

I went to Walmart this evening! I was looking forward to it cos you always hear about it. It's just Kmart though, but bigger. Oh, and has it's own Subway eatery inside. Go figure.

You're all going to say I'm the biggest nerd (if you don't already say that), but I went to the library yesterday to get some books for J, and OH MY GOD!!! It's HUGE!!! It's like the newly renovated Castle Hill, only HUGE and FULL of books, and it has a Sanity sized CD selection, and so many DVDs, and about 50 computers that you can use for free for an hour. And it also has all these programmes and reading groups and EVERYTHING you can imagine and more. This library is like my mecca. It's calling to me. Lol. Ok, maybe not, but it's just awesome. Even non-readers would go in there and be impressed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"what continent is australia on?" need i say more.....

Anonymous said...

sounds fantastic bro!
just letting you know that i got a job!!! check my blog for details.
that library sounds sooo good. better than any library i've ever been to. sounds more like borders... but free.

Anonymous said...

Good to see that the libraries are still one of the best things in the USA. I remember the library I used in Englewood NJ where I lived for a year and that wsa way back when... and it was excellent.
Good to see taht you rdriving ahs improved a lot in such a small period of time.
Fianlly, good to see that you did not eat everything that was put in front of you, and I still believe that they put too much sugar in everything particularly their bread!
Abyway keep enjoying yourself and by the way how amny of the world's
10 most poisonous snakes has Australia got? You must put me out of my misery coz I don't know.
Kindest regards.
Jackie S.

Anonymous said...

australia has all 10 poisonous snakes dont we?

Sarah said...

Yup! I love that fact. Got it from Globe Trotter Trivial Pursuit!