Saturday, July 22, 2006

Chicago Part V

So all in all it was a good day. :) It was nice to see Christina again, because I hadn't seen her in a long time. Hell, I wasn't even expecting to here from her after the training school, let alone see her again, so it was a nice surprise to hear from her. I'm glad I was able to show her Chicago before she left it.

One thing I really don't like about going into the city though is that there are so many homeless people. Yes, I know there are homeless people in Sydney, but you don't really have to interract with them at home. They sit with their head down and a sign in front of them. Here, on a stretch of maybe 100m, there will be three homeless men or women with Subway or Starbucks paper cups shaking them and asking you for change. I hate it! Firstly, I never carry money on me, secondly, I don't even earn enough money to give them anything. Yesterday though, a man was really nice when I was lost trying to find the meeting place to see Christina and he gave me directions. He then asked if I could spare some change because he hadn't eated. I gave him $3 because that's all the cash I had in my wallet and I felt so bad. I think it's because they're so in your face here, and that's why I feel bad. At home you tend to just walk past them, or throw a few coins into the little box. They don't look at you so they don't know how little you've given them. Here, it's just so full-on and it's everywhere.

No comments: