Monday, July 31, 2006

So what's new?

So here's a little update on things I've been doing.

Last week was a pretty bummy week. The hardest part was thinking of things to do with J each day because apart from swimming in the mornings and gymnastics or karate of evening a week, there wasn't really anything else planned. We went to this Pirate-themed place one day, but for the most part just tried to fill in a few hours here and there at the local pool or the library.

Guys, I'm so brown. It's terrible. I feel like I'm dirty but I can't wash it off. Ick.

Met another au pair. This one's name is Miriam. She's also German. I say "she's also", but I can't remember if I've mentioned the other au pair I met a few weeks ago. Her name is Lara, and she's German, hence why I said "also". I refuse to reread those last few sentences because I'm sure they don't make sense. ;) But yeah. Miriam seems nice. We had a playdate with the kids and had coffee. The au pair she's replacing, Corrina, was there also. I don't really like her. I don't know why - it's more "the vibe" (like it's "the vibe" of the constitution... The Castle fans, anyone?). But here's something funny. We were talking about the Brazillians in the group, and how they're not very friendly, and she (Corrina) said, "Yeah, they haven't even called or emailed Miriam to welcome her."

Ahem.

That's very funny that she would say that, because I SEEM TO REMEMBER RECEIVING NOTHING FROM HER WHEN I FIRST GOT HERE. Mole.

So yeah. That was funny. And that was also Thursday.

I was going to the movies on Friday with Lara, so I invited them along. We went and saw The Devil Wears Prada which was lots of fun. Being surrounded with Germans, I didn't realise I'd have to watch what I say. I accidentally said the "N" word... Nazi. Lol. I'm not sure whether I offended them or not. They were saying that they had to watch out that they didn't slip back into German and exclude me, and I said not to worry because the moment they said something in German I'd turn into the English Nazi. Woops. Then I tried to cover it up by blabbering on about some nonsense. I'm sure they noticed, but I didn't really give them much time to react. It was awkward. For me, anyway.

So then Saturday I was surrounded by even MORE Germans!!!

I went into the city with Lara and met up with some of my friends from the training school: Maren and Nicole. They're only summer au pairs, and Nicole was here for a few days as she's based in DC. So it was a good day. We wanted to go on a boat tour of the city, but because it was Venetian Night or something they didn't have the normal $20 tours, only a $45 tour. Erm, on what we earn, and the amount I had spent lately, I wasn't prepared to part with my money.

The next day, Sunday, I basically just bummed around the house. I was going to meet up with Lara again, but decided instead to go to the mall with this other Aussie I'd met and some of her friends. It was fun. I spent more money. Me so naughty. ;)

So I'm not sure whether I've mentioned this, but I bought a ticket to Vermont to visit one of the Aussie girls from the training school. I leave on the 12th August and return the 16th. The family here is one camp for that week so I figured I may as well take advantage and go visiting. :) We might go to Montreal for the day. She said there's nothing in Vermont, and after a quick consultation with my travel guide, she would appear to be correct. Oh, there is one thing: the birthplace of Ben & Jerry's Icecream. Hells yeah!

This week's pretty easy. Or at least it should be. J has soccer camp from 1-4 each day. No more swimming, thank GOD, so I can go back to sleeping into at least 8am. :) S is still at sleep-away camp in Pennsylvania. I'm not sure whether she'll be coming back before school starts (23rd Aug) because she might spend next week with her rellos in Pennsylvania, then go to camp with her family (also in Penn).

And that means that I've survived the SUMMER!!! Wo0t!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's because Germans rule the world!! I knew WWII wasn't a total bust for us... that's so wrong. I shouldn't say that.

Well nice to see you have people to hang out with now. Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee knew things would work out.

Loved the tanned comment. Maybe try a lufah?

Sarah said...

Lol! Can you loofah off a skin colour?

Anonymous said...

Well, you see how you've got plenty of friends anyway, even though many of them might be German... love your comment about the Nazi (can't you just tell I'm French).Anyway, enjoy Vermont, even though there's nothing to see there as it'll be a bit too early for the trees to start changing colour and don't forget that their seasons don't change until the 21at of September, so summer isn't quite over yet!
All the best
Jackie

Anonymous said...

hey, when that bitch said nobody had done anything to welcome the new aupair i wouldve said to the new girl ( loudly so the other one could hear) "dont worry nobody emailed or called to welcome me either." just to see wat the other girl would say.....lol